July 7, 2023 Lithuanian Post issued a block of four stamps “VMU Botanical Garden – 100 Years” created by artist Irma Balakauskaitė. The face value of postage stamps is 1.80 EUR, the circulation is 6.70 thousand. pcs.
The Botanical Garden was founded in the territory of Aukštoji Freda Manor in 1923, a year after establishment of the University of Lithuania (which was renamed to Vytautas Magnus University in 1930). Prof. Constantin von Regel, a botanist of Swiss origin, was invited from Tartu University to work as the first director of the garden.
The cornerstone in the foundation of the greenhouse was laid on 8 July 1923 by the President of the Republic of Lithuania Aleksandras Stulginskis.
At present the VMU Botanical Garden occupies an area of 62.5 hectares. Approximately 15.911 different plants comprise the collections and expositions.